September 19th was an event in my life that I thought I'd like to express a few thoughts about since it is the day that I experienced death in a way I had never experienced before. My father left this earth on that day 17 years ago. So in honoring him and his memory I decided to write a few thoughts of my own and share some that have come from him and from you as you remember him. First let me remind you that you have a great heritage. Some of the reasons you are who you are and have what you have in the way of blessings is because of those that have gone before you. Many of you do not know Grandpa Baker but I hope that in reading this you will know a little about him and his impact on this family and his impact on your life. Grandpa Baker was a poet or at least he wrote some poems in his life. These few lines come from his funeral program from a poem he wrote earlier. We're proud of you all, the Baker Five!
Your lives are full, we're glad your're alive
Remeber our love and the counsel given,
When life is done, we'll all meet in Heaven.
Grandpa pasted away from cancer of the brain. He was 65 years old which doesn't seem very young but just to let you know in the next few months your Grandpa Christensen will be 60. We would have loved him to remain with Grandma Baker so you could know them both together but that was not the plan.
Here is a quiz given about knowing Grandpa Baker
What was his favorite color? blue
What was some of his favorite foods? peanut butter, sweet pickle sandwiches, pepsi, angel food cake,wonder bread with butter and sugar
How would you describe how he looked? full head of hair prominent nose, back of hands large veins, looked like some famous people like Tom Post or Clark Gable
What were his hobbies coin collecting, gardening, cattle raising,bee keeping, guitar, painting,skiing, fishing,basketball,
What music did he like? he liked to dance and he did it very well, he wasn't much of a singer but he would try anyway
What did he like about his work? he liked to help peole. He was a different person when he was at the office. He joked and made people laugh with his good memory of good jokes
Where did he grow up? Salt Lake and he was the 2nd to oldest child
He never grew facial hair so he never had a beard or mustache.
Who of his children resemble him? Uncle Dwight with the walk of Uncle Wally
This is a rememberance that Susan had of Grandpa Baker. I remember him always drinking Pepsi. I remember the parties at their hous. The Halloween pary when he wore green tights. She loved to hear Grandpa read the Christmas story from the bible at our Christmas eve parties. Grandpa would always rub our ear lobes I think it was a way of showing his love for us I thought that was neat and I always looked forward to when Grandpa would rub my ear. I love my grandpa he was the best and I will always enjoy those memories of him.
Jon rememberance : Grandpa was a working grandpa. What I mean by that is many times when people think of granparents they think of two retired people with a lot of time to spare. I love the memories that I have of being at their home when grandpa came home from work. He'd change his clothes and go work in the garden. He will always be great example to me of work.
Rob shared this from a tribute of Grandpa:
I feel blessed to have known Grandpa and to have felt his love. He loved all of his children and granchildren very much.. He got sick and eventually died during the time that I was on a mission. I sorely missed seeing him during those final months, but even thousands of miles away I could feel his love and know that he was proud of me.
Here is a family newletter that Grandpa wrote and it was entitled Insights by Drostan
Our very grown up almost five year old is the next one I tracked down for her insights. When asked how she feels about turning five this month Megan answers, "I feel really good. I will be happy forever being five." Megan likes to ride bikes and draw and she is enjoying her Joy School classes.
Next I interviewed the teenager of the family, Robert. He has found the eighth grade to be a snap and he rarely comes home with homework. How does Rober like the lucky number 13? About as much as I like cream of mushroom soup, he says. He has no comment when asked how he plans to accomplish anything in the future.
An eight year old Amy has had a very eventful recent past. She was baptixed and comfirmed a member of the Church.
Jonathan is so busy he hardly has time for comment. But I recently caught up with him in my mobile unit and found out there is one thing that makes him happy besides playing. I like to give hugs to my Mom and Dad and Grandma and Grandpa, Jonathan admitted.
Susan is next to give her comments on the world situation. The struggle with the panties is for future dates. Why should you be in the latest anyway? Now that she reached the age of independenc, Susan thinks she can do everything for herself. She has been known to have a go at curling her own hair with a curling iron. As you may guess, Susan is slipping in the popular polls. Susan's goal for the next 4 years to get potty trained.
Well I hope you have a minute to remember Grandpa Baker and thank your Heavenly Father for his life. I am grateful for him. He was a great dad and I miss him. Love grandma Idaho
3 comments:
That is very nice Cecil! He sounds like a great man, which doesn't surprise me because he has a very admiral daughter!!!
Very sweet tribute......the best tribute ever, is the way all of you and your children have lived your lives and influenced others. So grateful, every day, we are friends. I love you.
Thanks Mom! This post was wonderful to read and made me cry! I miss Grandpa too. Both of my Grandpas died when I was very young, and I can't wait to see them again and hug them!! I loved his poem about the Baker 5 and his newsletter on our family (I had never read that before) Thanks again Mom this was a very sweet part of my day to read about mt Grandpa Baker! Love you!
Post a Comment