Hello Family and Friends,
The weather is very spring-like here in Tennessee. Some days are so warm we have used the AC in the car. Other days are cool and we have to wear a coat or at least a jacket. The umbrella is a constant friend too. The Bradford pear trees are in full bloom along with the crab apples. There are others that I don't know the name of yet that are blooming too. It's only February and we are just not used to seeing these things when it is still officially winter by the calendar. We are not complaining; we are just making note of it and really enjoying it. We missed the only snow storm of the winter because we were in New York at Grayer's baptism the weekend there was snow in Knoxville. We are not complaining about that either. Missions can give us many advantages other than the obvious ones that would come to mind--being immersed in the gospel and missionary work and service etc.
Last weekend I go special permission from President Griffin to leave the mission for the funeral of my oldest sister, Carol Wride. She was 79 years old and had been suffering from a bad heart for many years. She got weaker and weaker and finally passed away quietly and peacefully at home in the care of hospice. Out of the eight in my family there are only three of us left. Mom and Dad and my sister, Linda, and my brother, Robert, and now my sister, Carol have all passed on. I have only my two older sisters, Ann and Joyce, left. I don't necessarily like being the next in line to go. I so enjoyed the funeral, however. It was done in a way that would please the Lord. The plan of salvation was taught so well. Carol was my
dear sister and I will miss her. My children loved their Aunt Carol and all but Susan's family were represented. I got to see Robert and Amy and Megan and Jon's wife, Melinda and the grandchildren. It just so happened that Jon and his daughter, Audrey, came to visit us in Tennessee the same weekend of the funeral. Jon and I passed each other in the air--I was flying west and he was flying east. Cecile stayed here in Tennessee to be here for Jon and Audrey. After I returned to Tennessee on Sunday night I got to see Jon and Audrey too. I'm thankful I was able to go to the funeral.
Our visit with Jon and Audrey was so good. Before I returned to Tennessee they went with Cecile on a hike in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park to Laurel Falls. Smoky Mountain National Park is not far outside of Knoxville. They attended Church together in our West Hills Ward on Sunday. On Monday I was back and we went to Pigeon Forge and went to the Dixie Stampede which is an indoor rodeo/dinner show. On Tuesday we went to Chattanooga to the Aquarium. Wednesday was the day for all the fun to come to an end--Jon and Audrey flew home. The rest of this week has been mission office activities and Zone Training Meetings. We love out mission and want to be here in Tennessee a little longer. We are not quite ready to come home.
Love, Elder and Sister Christensen
 |
| I learned that Smoky is spelled without an "e" |
 |
| Laurel Falls |
 |
| Hiking |
 |
| In our missionary apartment |
 |
| This is how I remember my dear sister, Carol |
 |
| Dale next to the casket |
 |
| Carol loved yellow roses |
 |
| At Ben Lomond Cemetery |
 |
| Carol is right next to Mom and Dad |
 |
| At the Aquarium in Chattanooga |
 |
| February, at our apartment complex |
 |
| At our apartment complex |
1 comment:
Audrey and Jon had the best time! Thank you for taking such good care of them ❤
Post a Comment