Sunday, April 23, 2017

It's Raining, It's Pouring

Dear Family and Friends,
          This is definitely the wet season in Tennessee!  It's raining and has been doing so for the past week.  There are little rivers everywhere.  It makes things so green and beautiful.  I think I said this last year but I'll say it again this year--even the weeds are beautiful and green.  We are both so grateful to be in such a beautiful place.  Most of the blossoms are falling off the trees now but we are expecting more blossoms on different kinds of trees--empress trees, crepe myrtle trees, and mimosa trees.
          This past week I went to my barber for a haircut.  I had been talking to him about the gospel a little at a time in the past.  This time I asked him if he would like to visit with the missionaries at his home.  He said, "yes."  So we are arranging for the young sisters in his area to go to his home and teach him.  I think Cecile and I will go too.  Last year I started going to him when our Ward High Priests Group Leader told me he wanted me to go to a different barber.  I thought that my hair looked awful or something but then he said, "I want you to go so you can preach the gospel to him."  I was glad because I didn't think my hair looked that bad.  Anyway, now we'll see what happens.  We have been fortunate enough to meet a lot of new people and plant a lot of gospel seeds.
          Yesterday, for our P-day activity we went downtown to the Rossini Festival.  This was our second time, as we went last year.  We only spent a short time because it was raining.  Mom passed out several pass-along cards to people we met.  We ate "street" food--crab-cake sandwiches, which were very good.  We listened to several singers and groups of singers and tried to stay dry.  It's a really fun street festival.  Next Saturday we will be with all the senior couples in the mission for an activity in the Smoky Mountains.  Cecile and I are in charge of it.  We hope if goes well.
          It's been busier than usual in the medical part of my responsibilities lately.  Many missionaries are having medical difficulties.  But many are having mental difficulties--mainly stress and anxiety issues.  I'm not sure parents are preparing their sons and daughters to be away from home and to take on hard things.  I think we should make that a point of discussion with our families.
          Last Sunday was Easter Sunday.  We had a great Sacrament Meeting.  We were invited to our Bishop's home for Easter Dinner.  It was also a birthday dinner for their youngest child, Anderson, who turned one year old.  He is the cutest little boy.  When we are around families it makes us a little homesick for our family.  Our time is drawing close however, we won't be much longer in Tennessee. Our President has said that we will be released on June 7th.
Anderson Pickett, 1 year old
Everyone watching Anderson dig in to his cake.  Bishop Picket is taking the photo

Two of our favorite Missionaries, Elder Cushing and Elder Tevaga








No comments: