Friday, May 11, 2012

The Big Bee Days

The bees are alive and well in fact to well.  We think it is because we had such a mild winter.  Just a couple of days ago I had the bee swarm experience as I was sitting out in the yard.  And of course the real bee keeper was not home.  This time however the bees did not go over the fence.  They started coming out of the hive.  I wanted to get them back in so I used the only thing I could think of WATER,  They don't like rain so I rained on them with a hose.  Then the swarm that was hanging around the tree I rained on also that made them swarm into a ball that hung from the tree like this picture.  So what happened is the hive got to crowded and they made a new queen and half the hive left the box the rest remained with the old queen and that is how a hive divides and grows.  We just didn't expect them to both divide within a few days of each other and so early in the season.

Just today the bees swarmed again this time dad was home. Here he is taking care of the bees.  I like it when he gets excited about his bees.  He calls them his little pets.  He has given both divided hives to Uncle Jeff who lost both his hives this winter. 

No comments: