Sunday, September 18, 2016

The coming of Fall

Dear Family and Friends

We have had a busy week with zone conference which brings travel for many in the office.  This time I didn't go with dad to all the different places because I didn't need to do any training on baptisms.  But next time I will do a presentation on how to fill out a baptism form which tells you what to do every step of the way but the missionaries don't read and I get many forms not filled out right.  So everyday but Monday all the office people were gone except me and Sister Cleghorn who is the mission office secretary.  I stayed back with her so she didn't need to be alone the whole week.  Her husband goes and inspects the cars at the different areas of the mission.  So we had a good time together getting sometime to talk and go to lunch together.  I really like the Cleghorns they are from Knoxville serving from home and they are so diligent and just so focused on a mission even though they live at home.  The Simes are they other couple in the office they have been here the longest and will be ending their mission at the first of January.
Speaking of ending missions we past the half way mark a week ago.  The missionaries thought we needed to do something like burn a tie or shirt which is what they do.  Silly traditions of their fathers kind of thing.  We just celebrated by having the missionaries over for dinner.  We are starting to do much more with the missionaries that are in the office a lot and the sister missionaries that live near us.  We sometimes walk with them in the mornings when we don't have to be traveling or at the office so early.  As you know we walk in the parking lot of a large and spacious church near our apartment.  Then on the other days we go to the gym that has a pool and we swim and do our hydro fit stuff that we have done for so many years.  We hope that will keep us young and moving and help our minds too.  We will see.
So our week ended with a weekend trip to Nashville where we were able to go to the temple.  We went over on Friday afternoon and then took in an 8:00 am session then we headed back to Knoxville getting in around 3:00 with the time change which is part of our mission.  We have Central and Eastern time zones in our mission and that makes for some early start times as we travel most of those days dad leaves around 6:30 in order to get to the zone conference at 9:00.  We loved being in the temple again.  Sometimes when we can't be there as often it just feels good to finally get to a place where the world is not there.  I think missions are a little like that also.  The world just is not that important the only thing important is sharing something about Christ with someone and hoping they feel something different from the perspective we have on His gospel.
Interesting about our temple trip was that we stayed with some parents of an elder that is serving in our mission.  They are the Lamberts.  We met them when we had gone to the temple 2 months ago and we were walking out and they saw our tags and mentioned that their son was in our mission and had we met him.  They then told us that anytime we were coming to the temple that we do not need to get a hotel they had plenty of room and we were welcome.  We had a delightful time visiting with them at their home.  They had fixed a nice meal and then the next day we left early but they told us to always call them when we  were coming and stay with them.  It is nice to belong to such a church that we have many things in common.  Their son was sent to the SLC central mission but had some mental issues in the MTC and they decided that it would be good for him to go home and then see if he could do a two transfer mission.  Which means they stay for 12 weeks and if they can handle it they stay and continue on for the next 2 years.  That is what he decided to do and they reassigned him to Knoxville the mission bordering his home mission in Nashville.  He has loved his mission and has stayed the full 2 years and has been a great missionary.  He is flying home to Nashville because he doesn't want his parents to come pick him up he wants to go out with his group from the airport.  So he has about a 1/2 hour  flight.  I thought that was pretty cute of him to want this kind of missionary returning home experience.
We should have taken some pictures of the Lamberts but we are terrible at taking pictures or at least remembering to do so.  The young missionaries are a lot better at it.  They had a very nice house and had the kitchen painted a green and I thought of you Amy because it was that color green that you used in your bedroom.  She is also a person that loves reds  And so many of her accents in the house were red and that grass green.  Those colors compliment each other so well so it was fun to be in her home.  We ate on red polkadot plates.  Again thought of you Amy.  Brother Lambert is a big time biker and organizes bike trips for people in the ward and work on Saturday mornings.  They sometimes ride 40 miles even have done a 70 miler.  Thought of Jon when he told us of his biking.
We are hoping that we see some cooler temperatures because we still get in the nineties by the afternoon.  I took a few pictures of some amish furniture that I thought was cool so that is all I have on the picture part of the blog.  We will try to do better.
We taught the gospel doctrine class together this Sunday and it went well.  We enjoy doing that once in awhile.  We did get an official calling by the bishop.  He said that the ward had not had a ward choir for quite sometime so he asked if we would organize and do the choir.  We will start after conference week end.  We have a few plans for conference.  We will go to the Johnston family for the Sunday morning session have brunch before the broadcast and watch it with their family of three little boys.  So much for quite conference listening but she will be alone her husband is the one who is doing a oral surgery program.  They have asked us to tend their boys that next week end while they go to Nashville to the temple and celebrate their anniversary.  We figure it is the weekend and our P-day so we could do that for them.  It all is missionary work.
Well I must get this letter on it's way.  Just for your information I got an email from my Holland cousins (grandma's sister Charlene's children) their father my Uncle Hans died Sept.16.  They are not doing a funeral but a memorial service at the grave for close family.  He was a great guy and always made me feel important.  I hope he is able to accept the gospel over there he sure had a hard time taking it in here.  I do know there will be some temple work done for him and I am excited for my cousins to do so.
The work goes on it is true and I am so excited to be finished with my two year project of looking up the words in the topical guide in the Book of Mormon and asking the questions what does this scripture mean in relationship to three questions.  Who am I?  What is my responsibility? What is my responsibility to the House of Israel?  This has taken me a long time and I have filled three notebooks with answers.  I am now reading the New Testament .  Anyway I said I was going to end and I am
thanks for reading our blog posts.  We think of you often we are happy and good but that does not mean we have forgotten where our place really is and how much we long to be with you again.  Love you all.  Sister Christensen mom and grandma!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday to all the September birthdays



This is a child desk

Wait it is a high chair
But no it is a rocking horse

No comments: