Dear Family and Friends
My turn to write this week. Sometimes I have lots to say and I remember most of the week but this week has been a little bit of a blur. We have been battling different ailments. Last week was a bad cold for me and this week dad has had back pain that we can't figure out how to remedy. My cold is gone but dad's back pain is not. I am going to get him to go see a doc if he doesn't get any better soon. I worry about him because he has to drive and sit in Zone Training this week. Driving 2 hours them sitting two hours is not good for the back. I think I will take the mission driving test and get OK'd to drive a mission car so I can drive him. Some interesting things about the mission this week. There is a woman that moved into our ward here from New York City. She is 35 divorced no kids but just took a job here in Knoxville for a big TV broadcasting station that does all the food net works and other TV shows. She is a graphic designer and is doing the sets. Anyway she just bought her first house I got to talking with her and found out that her furniture was coming and she didn't have much help to unpack and do handy man work. So I volunteered dad and myself to help her. So one night this week we went over took dinner and then spent a couple hours helping her put up shelves organize closets, put up blinds and make beds. She seemed to appreciate the help and we got to know her. Then we went and got her a pretty plant to put in her home. It is a home that was built in the 1960 but has been remodeled and is really nice but also has some old features. She is really modern in her decorating but it looks nice. Then on Saturday we decided to go to a place 1 1/2 hours from here and attend the longest yard sale that spans a highway from Minnesota down to Georgia and goes through this place in Tennessee. It is the new place in our mission near the place where Sargent Alvin York was from. It is called Jamestown. So we spent 2 hours traffic was bumper to bumper looking at the antiques and yard sale junk. We did find a few things. I found a school bell that rings really great I found 6 pieces of sheet music from the 1920 really old songs. I also found some pictures from McCalls pattern books that were from the 1920 and they are really colorful and beautiful drawings of the clothes of that time. What am I going to do with them you ask. Frame them and put them in the sewing room.
I also found an old wooden wastebasket that I turned into a plant holder. Dad found some license plates that he is know collecting. An Alaskan, Missouri, Alabama. He has decided to collect all 50 states. We went on a team up with the Elders to teach a lady that we have been trying to find ever since we got here. We went to teach her and she didn't show. Disappointing because the Elders have had good lessons with her so far and we really wanted to meet her because a member that lives in a nursing home had told us about her and we passed the information on to the elders. We could never find her because we were at the office at the time she was at the nursing home helping this member.
We also went on team ups with the sisters to a youth minister named Nathan. It was our second time with him. We could tell he was just programed with all the anti mormon questions and wanted to bash and call us to repent. Some of you know that he came to sacrament meeting because the sisters invited him. He showed with his friend after the meeting started and because it was fast and testimony he got up and called everyone to repent and to quit believing in Joseph Smith. The sisters were so sad but the ward mission leader stood and so did the counselor and they walked him out the building then about ten young men and returned missionaries bore testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith. The spirit was so strong and the sisters felt that it really helped the ward with a more spiritual lesson of how the spirit feels when it returns to a meeting after the spirit leaves.
We had a great fast meeting the majority of the people that bore testimony were children with each child the spirit got stronger and stronger they bore testimony of families being forever. Then a new sister that just moved with her family to Knoxville stood and gave a testimony about heaven. She had been at her uncle funeral recently. The grave was being dedicated and she said that her other uncles was dedicating it and he was praying and she said she heard her uncle's voice large and big like it was when he was alive she opened her eyes and saw her other uncles but it was her dead uncles voice. She then told us that the funeral was for Elder Perry. It was really a neat meeting and I thought I would just share that with you. We know that miracles are all around us. The heaven's are open the voice of the spirit can come through others and the spirit can come through testimony.
So at the close of this letter to you may I tell you that I know we have a prophet on the earth. I know that Joseph Smith was called to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ again to the earth that families are forever and that we can be guided by the Holy Ghost. I love serving a mission I love to sit and hear the missionaries teach I am grateful I can testify to those here whether missionary or member or investigator. I am grateful to belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Love, Sister Christensen, mom, and grandma
No comments:
Post a Comment