Monday, February 22, 2016

February 15-20 missionary life is getting busier

We have a had a week of zone training meetings.  We started in Asheville  TN. The drive is approximately two hours and so we have to get going and be there by 10:00. There is a charger in Asheville so we decided to take the car.  When we got there we did not know exactly how far the church would be and we were down to 50 miles.  Well we found out the president changed the meeting time because it had rained and it was still a little icey  on the back roads.  So went to find the charger from the church.  It was the closest we had come to being down on a charge.  But we made it and charged.  After the zone training we went to Harry and Piggy's a favorite place of Rob's family's.  It wasn't quite the same without him there to make fun of this place that is one giant I Spy as you eat in it collage decor.you also need to add the grease that coats everything.  
At our last zone training we had to go to Chattanooga which is also two hours away. It is on the way to Rob's house so that made it nice since we were going to get to go to the temple with her.  We had previously asked our mission president if we could go to the temple in Atlanta with Maddie as she took out her endowments.  She is sending in her mission papers as of tonight.  It was fun to gather around and tell her what talents and gifts she had to take with her on her mission.  Rob said that Maddie finds good in unexpected places and that would help her  n her mission.  Her friend Marco's which is a new boy friend says he think Maddie considers feelings of others in situations.  Dad said Maddie is not afraid of doing hard things. She has worked during college and she worked in high school and she got up early to do early morning seminary.  I said Maddie has a good sense of humor and has a good twinkle in her eye as if she is excited to tell you something.  In general we think Maddie will be an excellent missionary.  Her mission president is going to be glad to have her.  
We also celebrated her birthday with a nice dinner and chocolate cake. We also gave Sarah her birthday gift since we could without having to mail it.  Another thing nice about driving to Rob's is we bought some raw peanuts to make boiled peanuts. We just have to find the recipe.  We have liked boiled peanuts. It is more of a Georgia thing than a Tennessee thing.  We bought 2 bags  of about 3 lbs each.  I have lots of travel things to do this week. Getting ready for another set of missionaries to come in and some to go home. We are planning a visit from Megan in a couple weeks  we are excited about that and hope to have Susan come with her boys sometime also.  I do have one missionary experience that was in Marysville.  We went to inspect elders apartment and after we were done I saw a young mother sitting outside with her young son. I waved at him and smiled and he smiled so I walked over to talked to him and his mother.  I told her I was missing my grandchildren and told her I was on a mission it was then I told her about the elders that just lived a few doors down from her I got the elders to come and I introduced them to her.  I gave her a pass along card and told her we were Mormons.  When I left I told the elders that she might be a new investigator.  I think they were happy that I gave her a card and introduced them to her. It broke the ice and will make iteasier for them to contact her again.  Missionary work is so good and it is not hard to talk to total strangers when you know the Lord loves all of His children.  Well so long for now. Love you all have a good week.  Thanks for the letters we receive and emails and pictures and packages.  We feel blessed to have your support.  Love mom, grandma, sister Christensen.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

So, I'm reading this with Makenna and she says, "Mom, I miss Grandpa and Grandma a thousand hundred." Evidently, that's a legitimate unit to measure love and missing.